- Member of Royal Irish Academy (Elected 1986)
- Member of Academia Europaea (Elected 1998)
1. Vilhelm Bjerknes Medal, European Geosciences Union, 2009
2. Laboratory for Atmospheres Scientific Achievement Award,
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, 1994.
"For leadership and pioneering work in the development of semi-Lagrangian models for climate and weather prediction."
3. Napier Shaw Memorial Prize, Royal Meteorological Society, 1971.
For the papers “Dynamics of disturbances on the intertropical convergence zone” (Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 1970, 96, 677-701) and “Tropical disturbances and the general circulation” (Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 1972, 98, 1-16).